Memorial offers board-certified and board-eligible anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) from Anesthesia Associates of Belleville.
Prior to surgery, you will meet with an anesthesiologist to discuss which type of anesthesia is best suited to your individual needs. Your anesthesia plan will be discussed with you. You should be informed of the benefits and any risk associated with anesthesia. Be sure to clarify any questions you may have.
There are several different types of anesthesia:
- General anesthesia: The patient is completely asleep and unaware of the surroundings.
- Regional anesthesia: Medication that numbs a specific region of the body is administered. One may receive additional medications for relaxation/sedation in addition to regional anesthesia.
- Local anesthesia: Provides numbness at the specific surgical site.
In This Section
- Allergy and Immunology
- Diabetes Education
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- Gastroenterology Lab
- Home Care
- Interventional Cardiology
- Pain Management
- Physical Medicine and Rehab
- Rehabilitation Services
- Respiratory (Pulmonology) Care
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Sports Medicine